Job Title/Position: Certified Hospice Aide
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The hospice aide is a paraprofessional member of the interdisciplinary group who works under the supervision of a registered nurse and performs
various services for a patient as necessary to meet the patient's personal needs and to promote comfort. The hospice aide is responsible for observing the patient, reporting these observations and documenting observations and care performed.
The hospice aide will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity and safety of a patient's care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONSIRESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities of the hospice aide include, but are not limited to, the following:
1.Performing personal care needs after given a patient's assignment and attending to his/her requests promptly. If unable to perform a certain task, report to the primary care nurse immediately.
2.Meeting safety needs of patient and using equipment safely and properly (foot stools, side rails, O2 etc.)
3.Giving personal care including baths, back rubs oral hygiene, shampoos and changing bed linen as often as assigned.
4.Assisting in dressing and undressing patients as assigned.
5.Planning and preparing nutritious meals,including shopping, as assigned.
6.Assisting in feeding the patient as assigned.
7.Taking and recording oral, rectal and axillary temperatures, pulse, respiration and blood pressure when ordered with appropriate completed/ demonstrated skills competency.
8.Providing proper care and observation of patient's skin to prevent breakdown of tissue over bony prominence.
9.Reporting on patient's condition and significant changes to the assigned supervisory nurse.
Also aware of the caregiver or other individuals living with the patient and interpersonal issues.
10. Assisting in ambulation and exercise as instructed by the primary care nurse or therapist.
11. Offering and assisting with bedpans and urinals. Providing assistance as assigned with light laundry needs.
12.Performing range of motion and other simple procedures as an extensional therapy service as ordered with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency.
13. Providing respite for patient's/family/caregiver when on-site, as appropriate.
14. Keeping patient's living area clean and orderly, as assigned.
15. Adhering to the organization's documentation and care procedures and standards of personal and professional conduct.
16. Respectful of patient and family/caregiver environment and patient's personal needs.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. Meets the training requirements of the State.
2. Effective August 14, 1990, a person who has successfully completed a state established or other training program that meets the requirements of S
484.36(a) and a competency evaluation program, or state licensure program that meets the requirements of S 484.36(b), or a competency evaluation program or state licensure program that meets the requirements of S484.36(b).
3. At least18 years of age.
4. Ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given.
5.Understands hospice philosophy, comfortable providing specialized care to the terminally ill.
6. Satisfactory references from previous employers.
7. Is self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision. Secure with issues of death/dying. Provides a calm manner when in a patient's home.
8. Has empathy for the needs of the ill, injured, frail and the impaired.
9. Possess and maintains current CPR certification.
10.Demonstrates tact, patience and good personal hygiene.
11. Licensed driver with automobile that is insured in accordance with organization requirements and is in good working order.
The hospice aide will not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the hospice aide will not administer medications, take physician's orders or perform procedures requiring the training